Tuesday 19 August 2008

Camera saga part 2

I have of course now found the cable to the camera I lost just over a month ago!!
Still no sign of the camera though.

I have also bought a new compact digital camera and, happily, one with most of my original feature wish list:

1. Viewfinder - yes
2. Video - yes, but I'm still to try it out
3. Price ideally 100 - 150 euros. - 140 euros, right within budget
4. Good flash for nighttime shots. - pub shots ok so far
5. Standard USB cable would be terrific. - yeah! hallelujah!
6. A resistant screen - it actually comes with a sticker I haven't dared take off yet, a bit of a sore point with me and my MP3 player, but that's another story.
7. Robustness - looks like a sturdy little thing
8. Ideally some consideration for durability and/or recycling components, disposing of batteries etc.
It takes normal batteries, so they are heavier to carry, but easy to replace should they run out when I'm out and about. I can use rechargeable batteries and recycle the dead ones. Furthermore, according to amazon.co.uk, this camera is covered by the WEEE Directive.

In case you were wondering, the camera I got in the end is the Canon Powershot A580, good value for money in my humble opinion:
  • It got good reviews worldwide and, because it's a stocky looking thing (compared to say the Canon Ixus 80, which I had my eye on), hopefully it's a bit less thief-attractive too(!). It's definitely the ugly duckling of the Canon compact cameras!
  • Furthermore, the 2 cameras essentially have the same features, (both have 8MP) but the Powershot works out at 17.50 euros per megapixel as opposed to 31.80 euros/megapixel for the Ixus.

I still might hope for the Chocolate 12 megapixel Ixus from Santa for Christmas, it does look lovely, and it is a bit slimmer which is ideal for small handbags and pockets.

A trade-off between increased odds of longevity and divine user experience perhaps?!

No comments: